Sunday, January 01, 2023

Karnataka Temples - 6. Kirangoor Ananthazhwan Avathara Sthalam

My plan was to go from Srirangapatna to Thondanur. While traveling I noticed Google Maps show "Ananthazhwan avathara sthalam" on the way, about 4 kms from Srirangapatna. I thought of making a stop since there was still time for the Thondanur temples to open.

Ananthazhwan is known for his kainkaryan at Tirupati,  and for his staunch devotion to Ramanujar. Once while teaching a pasuram by Nammazhvar, Ramanujar wishes that one of his disciples should create a garden in Tirupati and perform flower kainkaryan to perumal everyday. Ananthazhwan took the responsibility and established the Ramanuja Brindavanam in Tirupati. I have not been to the brindavanam but it seems to be mapped in Gmaps https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZLFTmCQvjLNpfpS58. It is worth thinking about the fact that Thirumala did not have roads back then. It was a forest that was home to many wild animals, which made some people wary of climbing.

Stories about Ananthazhwan, and details of his compositions, can be found at https://guruparamparai.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/ananthazhwan/.

Let me come back from Tirupati to Thondanur.




The temple was closed when I went. Took few glimpses of the place that the great man was born, and proceeded further.

I had said earlier that I stopped at Kirangoor on the way to Thondanur. One of the deities in Thondanur is called Nambi Narayanan. Ananthazhwan is called Thondanur Nambi. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home