Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Mathura-Vrindhavan-Gokul trip - Part 3 - Gokul

 Gokul

Gokul has a lot of temples. I could not really figure out which ones were the genuine historic temples and which one, specifically, was the vaishnavite divya desam (part of 108 Thirupatis). I had noted two places in Google Maps, but the driver took me to two different places. I believe the ones that we visited were the ones to be visited, but that’s more of a guess.

 

Mahaban Vasudeva Bhavan

The driver called the first temple as Vasudeva Bhavan. Google maps calls it Shri Krishna Garbh Grah Temple -> https://goo.gl/maps/Chabw6dy1yvTtM416. It was in a place called Mahaban. A colleague of mine, who’s hometown was Mathura, had said that Mahaban is the temple that people visit in Gokul; so had some sort of confirmation on being in the right temple.

The annoyance of the local guides started at the entrance of the temple. I was not surprised. But I was surprised when they, a group of 5 of the guides, took turns and kept harassing me inside the temple. They did not even allow me to have a look at the deity without disturbing. There were comments like, “Look, he is staring at the deity but does not want to pay us”.

The temple looked like a big house. There was a cow shed/GoShala before entering the temple, and there were many rooms/shrines inside. One shrine had big statues of Vasudevar and Krishnar. I wish I had some undisturbed time to go around in peace.

Once outside the temple, my driver said that I could walk in the road beside the temple and see the village. I started to walk. Then heard and noticed many monkeys around, and very few people. Decided to play it safe and return to the car.

Entrance to the temple
 
GoShala near the entrance of the temple

Temple - side view

GoShala

Vasudev Bhavan, photo from the internet


Nanda Bhavan

The next stop was Nandha Bhavan - https://goo.gl/maps/vDiGmAds6MjznCjs6. My driver said that it was a place that people visit but he was not sure what it was. The minute that we stopped the car, the “guides” started pestering. I asked them where Navamohan temple (Ayarpaadi) was, and they said that it was right there. It was a mere ploy to get me to enter the place and I fell for it. Once again bargained the guides down to Rs.20 and went to the temple with them. The temple was about 10 minutes’ walk from the parking place, through narrow lanes.

The guide showed us, through a window, the place where Vasudevar crossed the Yamuna with baby Krishna.

Place where Vasudeva crossed Yamuna



We then went to the first shrine. We were asked to sit at the initial spot in the shrine, and then move while seated toward the Lord. While moving slowly, the guide kept giving info like – Nanda baba donated 9 lakh cows to celebrate Krishna’s birth; the Muslim invaders never attacked Gokul (really?); 80% of families in Gokul are brahmins (then what about the yadavas?); etc.. The shrine had Nandagopan, Balram, Krishna and Sathyabama. By the time we reached closer to the Lord, the process seemed clear – the priest ask for each person’s name, their parent’s names, gothra, district, and then say that they will have to pay Rs.3600 to the temple in their parents’ name. When one person said that he could not, he was asked to pay Rs.1800. Some preferred not to pay inspite of the heavy insistence of the priest. I ended up succumbing to the pressure but at a lower amount. I do not mind giving to temples, but the pressure of the priests is something that I have not seen in South Indian temples.

Receipt for the donation


The second, third and fourth shrines applied more pressure. They even had UPI codes for the money transfer. Anyways, core objective was still on – visiting the temples and feeling the environment where Krishna played as a kid. All the shrines had Krishna, depicting different events of his life.

Nanda bhavan deities in the main shrine, photo from the internet

The guide guided us back to the car park, and left after another bargain on his fee.

I am happy that I visited the 2 places in Gokul. I felt warm at the sight of the gods. If only the pestering of the locals was reduced, if not eradicated fully, it would have been a more content visit.

There is Raman Reti, a place where people roll in the sand where Krishna played. I asked my driver to take me there and he mentioned that there are many Raman Retis, and he was not sure as to which the genuine one was. We ended up not visiting the place.


I wanted to go to Govardhan and Barsana on the way back but the driver was very reluctant. He said that roads are bad and there are no lights. I was too tired to argue and we started the drive back to Gurgaon.

I am a bit disappointed in missing some of the places, but overall content. I visited the main places that I wanted to, and now understand the area better. I am hoping that I get to visit these holy places again.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home