Thursday, April 20, 2006

Books...

Few lines on the recent books that I read

Alchemist - This was a book that cried to move out of my pending list. Atlast! I laid my hands on it and it turned to be one of the fastest books I have completed till date. Simple language, nice story and less number of pages. The book is good, but I'm somehow not able to relate it to my life as most people seem to claim.

Foucault's Pendulum - If Alchemist was one the simplest books that I've read, then FP was at the other end of the spectrum. I crawled through 100 pages with a part of mind begging to close the book and the other half raising hope that the book might have something later-on that I might miss. But sense prevailed and I've dropped the book. I'm not sure if the culprit lay in the original script or in the translation from Italian to English. Either way, it is definitely not my kind of a read. Wikipedia says, "It is full of obscure esoteric facts about things like Kabbalah, alchemy, and conspiracy theory. The novel is an encyclopedic work, with critic and novelist Anthony Burgess suggesting that it needed an index" (Ref). I agree.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even I couldn't relate to the Alchemist! I also read The Pilgrimage, but both books seem to be christian propaganda presented as simple stories for everyday life - like chicken soup books!!

24 April, 2006 08:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

27 April, 2006 13:53  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Manoj
I don't think the Alchemist propagates christianity. I believe it has got to do with nature and not any religion.

28 April, 2006 17:49  
Blogger Sankar said...

even i did not like Alchemist..it was very boring...i cd not go on after half of the pages!!

12 May, 2006 21:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home