Tuesday, March 28, 2006

B-School Entrance Interview Experience

A look at Balaji's B-school interview experience reminded me of my own interview few years back.

My interview happened in IIMB, and I reached the institute at 12:00 pm for a 2:30 pm GD. As it turned out, the previous batches of GDs were running late and the place was full of people who were tensely awaiting their interviews. Couple of them even said that they did not get much of a chance to speak in the fish market (It is another matter that they made it in the end and were my batch-mates for two years). So I was there just listening to the people awaiting their interviews and those who had completed their interviews. I was a bit tensed hearing that some of them were questioned on microprocessors and stuff which I had long forgotten.
My GD started quite late but I was by that time acclimatized to the environment. I had spoken to most people outside the GD and had a feel of everyone's background. Our GD topic was a case study. It was nice case with personal and professional dilemmas covered well. I spoke to my satisfaction making enough points and not being too aggressive. We were asked to wait outside the GD room and the interviewers started calling us one by one. At the sight of every single person coming out of the hall, I would get ready hoping it would be my turn. But I was the last person to be called in. While the interview of the person before me happened, I kept wondering why I was left to be the last. I consoled myself saying that the interviewers might have been overwhelmed by my GD performance and probably want to spend more time with me. Yep, I am a positive thinker!
When I took my seat in front of the interviewers the first question that came my way was, "Why do you think you were called the last?" Surprise, surprise, I had my answer ready. "Sir, I am not sure but it could be because you liked my GD performance and wished to spend more time with me in the interview". All three of the interviewers started laughing. One of them asked me, "Is this the answer that they teach you at the coaching centers?" "No sir, it's just a thought of mine"
The interviewers started taking turns then on. The first person questioned me purely on telecom concepts like PABX, ADSL and exchanges. As it was my forte (then!) I answered with full confidence. The second interviewer questioned on current affairs. Questions were on the Iraq issue, Cauvery issue, GK stuff like countries in more than one continent etc. The only blooper in there was that I said that Krishna water (instead of Cauvery) was the major problem between Karnataka and TN.
The most interesting questions of the lot came from the third interviewer who questioned in spirituality. His first question was, "Tell me a sloka from Bhagavad-Gita". My brain went blank. I couldn't remember any sloka and said that openly. But the interview kept on forcing me to remember some sloka and even pointed to the many certificates that I had received in school in Gita recital competitions. Luckily, I did manage to remember one sloka and felt relieved. As they say, every answer in an interview is a source of a new question. The interviewer wanted the meaning of the sloka, the context of it and my beliefs on what the Gita preached. We diverged into other topics like my belief of life that gave me enough room to use my creativity. In the end I left the interview hall content on my performance.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jammy said...

@Balaji
Sure, will post in some time.

@raz
Hva e a look at my previous posts, especially the ones dated feb 2005 and you'll get the whole story. BTW, just to clarify, the interview was at IIMB but not for IIMB.

29 March, 2006 10:07  
Blogger Ravi said...

Nice interview. The guy asking gita slokas was the best part. I am curious- Which sloka did you remember? Was it the famous "Karmanye eva adhikaraste..."? Or was it "Yada Yada hi dharmasya..."?

You know, I too had memorized the Bhaki Yoga (Chapter 12) back in school. But now that I think of it, I am not able to recall even one sloka completely.

29 March, 2006 13:55  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Ravi
hmmm not able to remember the sloka that I recited then. "Karmanye.." was the sloka that the interviewer recited asked me to expliain.

29 March, 2006 14:09  
Blogger Jam said...

Hey Jammy,

I guess it is time for you to remove my blog link from the "I wish they were more frequent" part to the "blogs I frequent" one !!!

Pls pls pls.........Jam

29 March, 2006 23:44  
Blogger FidoDido said...

Dude who all were there on your panel for the interview?

01 April, 2006 17:29  
Blogger Jammy said...

@fidodido
Telecom questions: Prof. Rajsekhar of international business
Current Affairs: I don't remember the person
Spirituality: Prof. Rao of Marketing

02 April, 2006 15:29  
Blogger Nostalgia said...

Sloka from Bhaghat Gida, OMG for a minute I had to think do I remember any of them. Well best wishes.

10 April, 2006 06:59  
Blogger MenangCeme said...

this is a very nice site, I really love it
bandar ceme
bandar ceme online
bandar ceme terpercaya
ceme online
ceme terpercaya
menang ceme
menangceme

28 November, 2018 23:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home