Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Book Review - The Cobra

After a long hiatus I took another book of my favorite author - Frederick Forsyth. I guess this will be the last time that I indulge into Forsyth's books. His style has become predictable and I am starting to confuse some of his novels. I feel that it is time to venture into others' books. But now, back to the novel at hand.
The Cobra starts with the usual "world at risk" kind of problem. The unusual part of it is that unlike the usual espionage novels, the threat is not from bombs, nuclear weapons or missiles. The threat that is handled in The Cobra is Cocaine. That way, this novel has a different premise. Liked it.
The middle portion of the book is where I felt a lot of Déjà vu. Many pieces of information repeated like the explanation of a small amount of Pure converting many tons of Cocaine, like the pressure of failed smuggling on the dealers, and the like. One part of the sequence that I liked is the reintroduction of a character from Avenger.
The end of the novel has a great twist to the tale. After my displeasure with most of his recent books' endings, this was a welcome relief. The ending reminded me of that of The Devil’s Alternative’s . I felt the minor intellectual warmth that made me like this author more than most. But then, this is too low a dose to intoxicate me further. It is ironic that I am going to end my addiction to the author based on his novel about psychoactive drug!

A quick list of the books that I have read, to create a bit of nostalgia:
The Devil's alternative
Avenger
The Negotiator
The Afghan
The Kill List
The Cobra

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home