Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Killer Serials and Pleasureful Ads

It's a fate that most Chennai youngsters might be facing. It irritates me but I can't avoid it. The devil called mega-serial haunts me every evening. I can't help it because the elders of the home prefer to watch it, and because the sound doesn't die when I close the door of my room. There are few things about these mega-killers that puzzle me
1) Why should people face only bad situations in mega serials?
1a) How does the bad period sustain over hundreds of episodes/ many years?
2) Why should the hero of every serial be a lady?
3) Why should these serials be named mostly with some sort of relationship - chitthi, appa, kanavan, manaivi et al?
I guess as the relationships get exhausted Tamil viewers will get to watch onnu-vitta-tambi, naathanaar magan etc.
4) Why are the police always cruel in serials?
5) Most important of all, how do these mega borers sustain interest with the ladies of the family after being so insipid?

Trying to divert my mind of these serials, I've been trying to concentrate more on solving Sudoku puzzles while they run on TV. Has it been of help? Yes and No. Yes because I'm not getting irritated at the serials as I don't see them. No because the audio still gets into my brain though not registering at that moment of time.

While gleefully watching advertisements in-between these serials I noticed something interesting. In-between all the Tamil ads, there is one fully English ad, that too in such a way that people don't actually notice that the ad hasn't been translated. It is the Hero Honda 'Pleasure' ad with the catch phrase "Why should boys have all the fun?"
http://www.magindia.com/adweek/awkdisp.html?2006/03feb/06.jpg

Things that interested me in the ad are
1) The only fully English ad in a Tamil channel
2) Clear targeting - girls
3) Kindling the complex of girls feeling that boys get more enjoyment in life. The ad makes a statement here.
4) Ofcourse, the ad looks good
5) Cool background score

A pleasure to watch something "feel-good" amidst the sad serials.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

Man the girl in the ad who says the line "Why should boys have all the fun?" is really cute & the way she says that lines is even cuter. Maybe we need to add that point too. Well maybe not in your list, but that will be the first point in my list for liking the ad. :)

And BTW there is another ad of TVS Scooty pep+ on similar lines. It shows how a girl blows away a boy (who is obsessed with power and feels that scooters have less power) with the sheer power of Scooty Pep+. I am not sure about this ad's positioning though.

16 February, 2006 19:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home