Monday, January 02, 2006

Vellai Pookal Ulagam Engum Malargave

My wishes for a very happy and prosperous New Year to all my readers. 2005, a year marked with lots of natural disasters in many parts of the world has ended and the world awakes in the New Year with aspirations of a better future. The thought brings to my mind a song written by Vairamuthu for an A.R.Rehman composition "Vellai Pookal" from the movie "Kannathil Muththamittaal". The initial lines are
"Vellai Pookal ulagam engum malargave
Vidiyum bhoomi amaithi kaalam vidigave"

A loose translation would be
"Let the world of white flowers blossom
Let the rising world's peace arise"

The touching lyrics with the mild guitar accompaniment give the feeling of morning freshness and a hope towards a brighter future. The song is like a prayer for peace and I guess that's a good way of wishing for the New Year. Let peace prevail and let us hear more of happiness and prosperity than war and disasters.

Personally, 2005 was a mixed year for me. On the brighter side I'm finally done with my extended academic career, have stopped eroding my dad's savings (I have my own to erode now!), have had the experience of working for couple of companies in different locations and in different roles, have made many new friends, and have started this blog (going to celebrate its anniversary in few days). Darker sides are never worth thinking over and I only hope 2006 dissolves whatever darkness was created in 2005.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

Aah thats a beautiful song.

I still remember the first time I heard this one. Two of my friends performed it (one on guitar & other singing) during our farewell from engineering college. Of course it wasn't in Tamil then. Anyway I think the song doesn't even need lyrics, just the music is enough to give you peace.

03 January, 2006 14:23  
Blogger Thrivikraman said...

Cheers Jammy! hope this new year brings u more gud luck and hapiness, also that it is not filled with disasters like last year. Let the bright sun shine over chennai, as we have enough water for another year :P

03 January, 2006 21:49  
Blogger Ram said...

HNY!

04 January, 2006 04:56  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

Happy New Year Ram!

05 January, 2006 04:12  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Ravi
You would ge tthe lyrics translated and read it. It's awesome.

@Thrivikraman, M.E., Heidi,
Thanks and wish you the same

05 January, 2006 09:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

06 January, 2006 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home