Thursday, January 19, 2006

Choices

Everyday when I go to the temple the first thing that strikes me is.... not God, not the beauty of the age-old temple, not the fact that the temple has few takers in the mornings. What strikes me is the row of two-wheelers parked in front of the "No Parking" board. I don't know whether to blame it on people's ignorance or on the dusty board that most people wouldn't even notice. The problem created by overlooking the sign-board is that the big vehicles carrying utilities for the temple are blocked from coming near the temple.

The question however is, "What have I done about it?" Every time I see a person park his/her vehicle in the no-parking zone I feel the urge to ask him/her to park it somewhere else, but am always taken back by the fear of facing some ugly words. It is now a regular occurrence of me pausing for a minute, thinking about pointing to the sign-board, rejecting the thought, feeling happy that atleast I'm not one of the rule-breakers, and leaving the place. So why am I writing about it now? Couple of reasons - a) So that I have a better reason (now that I've made things public, my friends would keep asking me if I did the right thing), b) Because I'm wondering whether I'm the right kind of guy to write in Arise,Awake.., a blog intended to make people do their bit in bringing up our society.

Everyday we face simple situations, like the one that I have explained above, which question our role in the society. As SRK said in DDLJ, there are always 2 choices in front of us - one easy but wrong, one tough but right. And as Dumbledore said in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets", it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

Jammy- i'd urge u to do it. One man at a time. Remember that there's no harm in trying. Say it politely and move on if he doesnt heed. At the end of the day, you'll atleast have the satisfaction of having tried instead of the guilt of not trying...and imagine the feeling if the guy does listen to you... :)
You are very much the kind of guy who should write in "Arise Awake...". Infact, i'd have loved to see a copy of this post of yours there too...

20 January, 2006 11:35  
Blogger Jammy said...

@M.E.,
That's the intention man. I'll definitely try to put a foot forward this week.
I initially wanted to post this blog in "Arise, Awake..." but felt that I should post after asking someone to park his vehicle properly. But, maybe, I should post this blog, and later post a blog on the outcome as well.

@raz
Thanks for the motivation.
Naa ambiyum illa, anniyanum illa. People generally don't fall under extremes.

23 January, 2006 10:22  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great , there are things in world which you are supposed to ignore , coz you are not the right kind of person to respond there ... Truth hurts but still cant help it

23 January, 2006 11:03  
Blogger meghjanmi said...

Jammy,u know i did it..it worked..but for a long time since..ur words stay in their heart,that's what i came to know then..
and i agree with ram when he says u r right for'arise,awake..'ppl who feel'r what i envisioned when i started this blog..

25 January, 2006 08:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home