Thursday, September 08, 2005

After 5 months...

I met a group of my batch-mates yesterday. The expectation was for the place to be filled with discussions about people's jobs. I was not entirely wrong, but was surely wrong to some extent.

In a group of 15 people seated by joining many tables together, I happened to get the center seat. Well, ok I didn't "get" the seat, but was pushed to it when the veg/non-veg split took place. But more importantly that gave me the opportunity to listen to the discussions on both sides of the table - left and right. It was quite a contrast. The guys to my right were discussing only about stocks and the share market. May be the fact that they were all finance majors working for equity research companies and banks tilted the scales too much into stocks. The friends to my left were chatting just like college students - about funny incidents and popular faces. This group was a good mix of IT professionals, bankers and consultants. The guy sitting opposite to me, also in the center, was a spectacle. A core marketing major who had not taken any finance subjects, he was trying hard to listen to the finance geeks to my right. In about 20 minutes he became the person from his firm with the highest financial knowledge.

Which side did I participate in? Actually, a bad throat made me a spectator for most of the time, but whenever I did speak, it was directed at the fun-based group. All-in-all it was pretty nice to meet quite a number of my friends. But as always the devil was at work in the idle mind and worked out the following stats

 

The finance group consisted of

a) 100% vegetarians

b) Mostly people doing equity research. Even the banker in the group was into ER.

c) People who didn't show any signs of changing jobs in the near future

 

The fun group consisted of

a) 62.5% non-vegetarians

b) 37.5% vegetarians all of whom happened to have taken finance major in college.

c) People from various backgrounds

d) Quite a few who were looking for better opportunities

 

So what do these stats indicate? Nothing except that there was an idle mind at work!!! But I sure wonder what is with vegetarians and finance.

 

The sad moment for me was when I got to know the bill amount paid by the birthday boy. After all, I'm next in line.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

Hey I'm a vegetarian too. and I did not have even one finance credit. And my job is totally unrelated to finance (ok I admit it is unrelated to anything, but that is not the point)

Am I an exception or is this a sign to either change my proffesion or shift to non-vegetarianism? :)

08 September, 2005 16:41  
Blogger Chandoo said...

hey...
you seem to be totally vella in your job. that adds the company to my consideration set.

09 September, 2005 04:43  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Ravi
My hypothesis is that finance guys are mainly vegetarians. It is not that vegetarians are finance guys :)

@Chandoo
I spoke only about a party. It has nothing to do with my being vela or not. btw, that day was off for Vinayaga Chathurthi

09 September, 2005 18:22  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

hehe ram.. good one..:)

btw ur observation seems to be very true :)

10 September, 2005 00:08  
Blogger Govar said...

Hmmm ... Kinda interesting.. makes us think what we guys are gonna do. Anyone check ur template... doesnt appear all that good in Firefox.

11 September, 2005 10:38  
Blogger Lumbergh-in-training said...

hey when did this happen? why was i not invited? :(

13 September, 2005 15:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home