Monday, August 22, 2005

Budget Padmanaban

Two months back I made this equation and took a decision
Flight from Bangalore to Mumbai = Rs.1800
Flight from Bangalore to Pune = Rs.1000
Estimated expense from Pune to Mumbai = Rs.200

Savings if Pune route is taken = Rs.600
So, why not?

Am I intelligent or what? So I thought till the equation shifted like this...
Flight from Bangalore to Pune = Rs.1000
Charge for making a mistake in booking = Rs.500
Auto from airport to bus stop = Rs.90
Bus to Mumbai = Rs.220 (These people have price discriminations based on the day and time of travel. I happened to travel at the costliest time - Sunday evening)
The bus came very late as the diver fell sick and we had had to wait for a new driver. By the time I reached Mumbai (1:00 AM), the railway services were stopped. I took a taxi to my friend's place considering that the same to my place would burn me out, out of money that is.
Taxi to Andheri = Rs.280
Total = Rs. 2090
Savings in not travelling from Mumbai airport to home = Rs.250
Net Loss = Rs.40 + Physical strain + wasted time
Mental anguish on bad planning = priceless

For everything else there is 'mama biskothu'

7 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

Ha ha ha Jammy. Cost benefit analysis does not work always. ;)

22 August, 2005 15:48  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

hehe ram.. varavu etanna selavu patha.. :-"

22 August, 2005 22:27  
Blogger Ram said...

businessu ante loss irukkadhaan seyyum babu :P

23 August, 2005 02:49  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Vetty
I just missed out on including the 'miscellaneous expenses' while planning :)

@Mickey
I still haven't lost faith in complex calculations :P

@Heidi
:(

@M.E.
It's not about the monetary loss... it's about the bad feeling of having one's plans failed.... u can call it a hurt ego.

23 August, 2005 09:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...ur equation maybe a little skewed...when u say 2000 for da flight cost, u still got to add rickshaw cost from airport to thane which shld be arnd 200/-; you may still be in the positive, except the mental pain.

23 August, 2005 12:09  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Kedar
I had left the cost of rickshaw transport and the saving of booking the Bangalore-Mumbai ticket earlier. I've added both now, and guess what? both of them nearly cancel each other ;)
Ofcourse, if I take the exact values instead of my approximations, the profit/loss might tend to reach zero.

23 August, 2005 15:15  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Krishna
yes, analysis into (mis)use ;)

24 August, 2005 16:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home