Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Cricket Cribs

It's not too rare to hear the commentary, "One-day cricket is about what happens on the day. It is a funny game and everything is so unpredictable". If that is the case, why is it so predictable that Australia will win most of its matches, Bangladesh will lose most of its, and India will lose most of its finals?
I am not as disappointed watching India lose yet another final as I would have been few years back. But still there is this "So near yet so far" feeling watching them slip from the comfortable 186-2 position to 263-9 falling short of the target by 18 runs. Atleast it is better than matches like the world cup final where we got pounded miserably.
Not being an ardent follower of cricket anymore (ok, that's relative), I now get to hear the disappointment-soaked comments of others from a third party perspective. When I see people cursing Yuvraj on getting out, I get to see their frustration rather than making literal sense of their words.
I know that even after making resolutions not to watch cricket anymore, these people will get back to their seats once India plays its next match. They exhibit enormous excitement and enthusiasm while sitting glued to the match and keep postponing dinner, which my flat-mate did yesterday. But once again the question is, "Is it all worth it?" If you are thinking about leaving the match in joyous mode, then may be the answer is "no" with this Indian team. But if you are thinking of enjoying the match, then this team provides quite a good number of close matches to relish.

Excitement? Yes
Expectations? Yes
Disappointment? Yes
Withdrawal? No
phir bhi dil hai Hindustani

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

u bet!

rain or shine
go India go
losing's fine
am never ur foe

:P

11 August, 2005 02:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that a lot of people (a lot of my friends and myself) have now begun to STOP watching indian cricket matches. I think we're over the hill now, with World Cup 2003 being our best chance ever to renew that passion & interest...

btw, spellcheck: loose = lose, throughout da article..

16 August, 2005 17:04  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Kedar
I think people who have stopped watching are in the minority till now.
Thanks for pointing the mistake. I've corrected it now.

16 August, 2005 20:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home