Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Brave New World - A review

There are times when a writer would wish to write stuff that his readers might not at all be interested in. Well, though I've seen very poor responses to my blogs on books, I'll go ahead with this one just to satisfy myself.
The novels that I have read since my last review are "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown and "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Yes, my reading habit has slowed down from the a-book-a-week regime that I followed few months back. Nowadays I'm more absorbed by crosswords and puzzles than by books. May be the change of my coordinates from next week on may spark a change back towards books.
Since most people would have read A&D, I'll write about BNW (Brave New World).
BNW is a picture of the future presented by Huxley in the 1930s. Believe me; the picture looks too futuristic even today. BNW is a world in which the emotions of people are manipulated and everyone is made to stay in a state of notional happiness. It is a world where children are produced and not born, 'Father' and 'Mother' being irreputable words. Children are classified into alphas, betas, gammas and deltas, and conditioned in accordance to their classification - a futuristic way of castism.
The book began with so much description that I felt like returning it before reaching even the 10th page. But the simple fact that it is a small book made me continue with it. I expected the novel to stop the descriptions somewhere and get on with the plot, the way my all time favourite "Devil's Alternative" did. But my expectation was not to be satisfied. Even after completing the book I'm left wondering what the idea of the novel is.
There are surely few questions that the novel puts forth - What is wrong in having notional emotions? What is wrong if your senses are conditioned to stay happy? What is wrong in being drugged to stay happy? There are even stronger questions being asked in the novel in areas pertaining sex and marriage, which I'm not able to write about due to my own conditioning
All in all, I feel that it is a novel that could be left unread. I've heard that "1984" has a similar concept dealt in a better way. But I'm too saturated with this way of thinking and will avoid it. May be people who haven't read either can try 1984, which is supposedly a classic.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

Have not read BNW, but 1984 is a slightly different proposition I feel. It also deals with emotions, but more of a political nature and has a lot to do with freedom, dictatorship, etc. But 1984 is a gripping, but very "feel-bad" book.

06 October, 2005 03:47  
Blogger Jammy said...

I can feel 1984 through your comments and though the effect of "Animal Farm". It's definitely not my kinda book. I'll stick to my feel good novels :)

06 October, 2005 17:08  
Blogger Ram said...

interesting u shud write about a book u dont want others to read :)

07 October, 2005 09:13  
Blogger Jammy said...

@M.E.
Forewarning

07 October, 2005 09:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have not read BNW, though want to read it since some time now.. have read 1984 many times (I like it that much). Yeah, as vetty says, it's more about what power is, how it is used, how govts manipulate, become all-pervasive thru various means. And the immortal/mortal Big Brother, "War is Peace" concept..

In fact for those who have read 1984, compare that with what the US is doing.. you can freely substitute USA for Oceania in the book at quite some places.. ;-)

It disturbs you (no question about that), but then it throws up so many questions, which I find interesting. It's the same funda between a popcorn movie and a really thought-provoking one.. People have different likings, so whatever suits you..

But give 1984 a shot.. :-)

07 October, 2005 14:18  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Kunal
Thanks for the comments. With your reading speed you can complete all the book that u can get your hands on. But mortal souls like me have to be a bit selective :-)
I like informative books, but not the thought provoking ones. As u rightly pointed out - individual likeliness.

07 October, 2005 15:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home