Friday, November 25, 2005

Revisiting Honesty?

Blogs all over are paying homage to Manjunath. It's nice that a person who stood for ethics is receiving recognition, though late.

Though I adore Manjunath's act and feel a pain in my heart due to the incident, this blog is not about him. It is about the change that his demise is bringing about. What are the changes? These are what I can infer under the context:-
a) The oil mafia in UP is under the scanner
b) IIM grads are moving away from PSUs
c) Some guys are reconsidering their stand on honesty

It is the third change that is hurting me. Some people I have known well like Govar and Ravi are among those who are revisiting their ideals on ethics. But is this what is to be taken out of the incident? Is this the change that Manjunath would have wanted to arise? I know that my friends are not going to become dishonest just because of this incident. Their blogs might be out of sheer exasperation caused by the news. But I would definitely like them not to even consider the other way.

Manju gave his life for his principles. I believe we have better lessons to learn from him than to shy away from honesty. I found a comment, in the blog setup to condole Manju's death, that gives the way I would have liked people to take Manju's demise - "u sacrificed ur life for a good cause and we'll just make sure ur initiative to fight against corruption doesn't go waste. U are and U'll be an inspiration to many to come"

I know that not everyone can be a Manjunath, but atleast we can stick to honesty in whichever small way that we can.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

You were right in saying that my post was in sheer exasperation caused by the news. I am sober now.

I can see that you still believe in ethical principles. And for that I am happpy for you. The unfortunate part is that I am slowly getting convinced of the whole pointlessness of this idealism. This is a sad feeling to have. Like you, I wouldn't wan't others to think in the same way as I do & am thus not going to try & convince you.

25 November, 2005 14:57  
Blogger krishnan said...

Well Ram, cant agree more. The incident is depressing, especially since it relates to one of us. There are no extreme lessons from this sad incident - of completely embracing or completely distancing honesty. its kaliyuga...honesty within limitations

25 November, 2005 16:18  
Blogger Govar said...

:) Ram, that was more out of frustration yes, but am certainly not going to be unethical - ever, not aftere all these years. I mean, there've been utmost pressure... when 95% people copy in exams, 98% people skip classes. I've endured all that, guess am destined for more. :)
Thanks for the concern though!

Running 6/7 cllasses a day... will catch u some other day! Take care.

25 November, 2005 19:07  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

Ram as Krishna rightly pointed out.. this is Kaliyugam and no place for good people.. :( very unfortunate.. but true!

25 November, 2005 23:46  
Blogger Ram said...

Jam- i see my name in "wish they were frequent". Just wanted to tell u that I AM frequent, but do not comment unless i really have something to say bcos of the word verification thing u have...

About this blog, yes. We shud not give up being honest because of what happened to Manjunath. After all, the next day is unpredictable as it is...so it's better to live the way we want to live...

27 November, 2005 02:43  
Blogger Ram said...

oops, i see u mean i shud write frequently- hehe. my bad...

27 November, 2005 02:45  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

jammy.. was bit away coz of my exams.. will be more frequent from now on :)

27 November, 2005 04:09  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Krishnan
Completely agree

@Govar
I knew that. Same case here.

@Heidi
Krishnan only said that you can not be completely honest. Honesty within limitations is still possible. There is a place for good people everywhere. I personally believe that most people are good.

@M.E.
Yep, I meant that you should write more.

28 November, 2005 10:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home