Monday, November 14, 2005

Surprises from the Indian Railways

The Indian railways keeps surprising me. The last time I went to Bangalore from Chennai, the train was late by an hour. When I came back, it was exactly on time - 5:00 on the dot. This time again my train to Bangalore was late, though by a mere 15 minutes, and my train back was on the dot. So by statistics, we are 50% accurate and 100% consistent.
What surprised me more was the local train timing. When I entered the suburban railway station ticket counter, the time was 4:12 and a train just arrived. Standing in the queue, I glanced through the train schedule. It read "4:12 4:27 ...” I was greatly surprised at the precision of the 4:12 train and decided to check the time of the next train. More precision - the train stood in front of me as the digital clock in the station showed 4:27. Way to go railways!!!
While traveling in the train I noticed the names of the stations in-between, written in 3 languages - English, Tamil and Hindi. I have been viewing these boards for 20 odd years now, but this is the first time that the letters in Hindi made sense to me. I'm still an illiterate in my country's national language, but I can recognize quite a few letters and make a fair guess out of them. The point, however, is from the surprise that the Hindi names revealed. They just spell the Tamil names. If you are wondering what's wrong with that, then let me quote an example. There is a station by name "Park". Park translates to "Poonga" in Tamil. While I was expecting the literal translation in Hindi, they had just put "Poonga" using the Hindi script. It didn't take me long to understand my mistake and the railways' correctness. If a person with only Hindi knowledge reads the name of the station as “udyaan” or “upvan” and asks for it, no one would be able to direct him/ her there. Now, anyone can ask for 'Poonga' and get to know the details from the locals.

2 Comments:

Blogger kannan udayarajan said...

u r tagged...
c mi site
;)

15 November, 2005 15:11  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

Ram our railway System is perfectly designed and working exceptionally well unlike its head administrator :P(railway Minister)

17 November, 2005 01:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home