Monday, October 31, 2005

Chennai Rains

Though I had said that I would be writing a series on my interview experiences, I would take a diversion in this blog. Afterall not everyday does it rain in Chennai, and not every person gets to be in 2 deluges in a space of 3 months.

When I was starting from Mumbai to Chennai, quite a few warned me that the difference in temperature would be high. Yes, the difference was high - Chennai is cooler!!! It started raining from the time I reached Chennai allowing me to quote an age-old belief that the arrival of good people will bring rains. Bringing rains is fine, but the deluge that happened last week is something I would have preferred not to have brought from Mumbai. Though I wasn't affected much this time around, the situation was quite bad for the people around. My peril was restricted to my office bus being diverted in few places due to the flooded roads. Otherwise the rains did get me couple of days off from office making it a long weekend.

Once again people have started pointing fingers and stating that it's the government's fault that so much of damage was caused. I was even surprised when I saw such a statement from a person who was in the ruling party previously. Did his government have some setup against natural disasters that the current government has spoiled? It is just that nature thought of playing its game now and not 5 years before. Anyways, leaving these political games aside, I'm actually wondering as to how we can reduce the damages caused by the games of nature. Better infrastructure is something that most people provide as an answer. I'm not sure as to a) is such an infrastructure possible? and b) can we really afford such an infrastructure?
Does anyone know if some new measures/ policies/ developments have been made in Mumbai after the deluge that happened there few months back?

Anyways I sincerely pray for all these heavy rains, train accidents, bomb blasts and earth quakes to stop and let people live their lives peacefully. I wish everyone a fun-filled and peaceful Deepawali.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Kris said...

Happy n safe Diwali Ram :)

01 November, 2005 01:23  
Blogger Thrivikraman said...

Hey Jammy.. mez was jus thinking to write a blog abt chennai rains.. nice to see urs :D
Btw... innum nee enaku fone panra :p

03 November, 2005 18:34  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Heidi
Thanks and wish you the same

@Thrivikraman
seekarame panraen :D

04 November, 2005 18:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home