Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Shower Games

Over the past month and a half, I had been bragging that I brought rains with me to Chennai. The way things are going, I would have been happier leaving the rains back in Mumbai itself. As I look outside the window in my bus, I find vacant lands disguised as lakes. I wonder how people reside in the houses that look as if they are floating in the middle of a river. But don't think that the situation is that bad in Chennai. It's just that I pass through the worst affected places. Every time it rains, these areas are the ones to find their names in the news channels immediately. Anyways, I've been informed that my office bus route will be changed from tomorrow onwards.
Amidst the rains I hear cries. Not that of the heaven falling on them, but that of the heavens spoiling their cricket match. I can understand the anguish of the people in other states as the only way the Chennai rains have affected them is by cancelling their cricket match. What I don't understand is, why are the Chennai-ites more worried about the match rather than the struggle that they are going to face travelling in the roads where potholes have taken intermediate assignments as water storages?
News channels showed angry spectators who were complaining about not getting their ticket fee refunded. The organisers were stating that they had informed about this earlier itself. I am left wondering, isn't there an insurance for cricket matches?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

Cricket is the only religion all Indians follow ;) - well, almost all of them :P

PS:Word verification is a turn-off for regular visitors. Consider turning it off if u dont get too many spam msgs.

24 November, 2005 04:32  
Blogger Vetty Max said...

I thought that in matches where not even one ball is bowled, the money is refunded. Seems I was wrong.

24 November, 2005 08:53  
Blogger Jammy said...

@M.E.,
I'm just surprised that 'the religion' gets more importance than regular life essentials.
Lots of spams are coming nowadays. I'll wait for some more time before turning off the word verification option.

@Vetty
Same here

24 November, 2005 10:32  
Blogger Ravi said...

The anger is towards not getting their fee refunded. The rains anyway are affecting everybody. But loss of money is only for these spectators.

24 November, 2005 10:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boss there's a disconnect in ur latest blog...u started off by talking about the rains and in the middle of nowhere you start talking about potholes/infrastructure and then you sign off with Insurance for cricket ticket. Though this is an interesting and unique concept but at least you should have given it a logical ending..Gross Incoherence..OhmiGod

24 November, 2005 13:27  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Parag
Sailing in a bus :))

@Ravi
I was talking about both the onsite spectators (those who bought tickets) and the offshore ones (those who were planning to watch the match on TV). Your justification goes well for those who bought the tickets. But the anguish of those who missed the match on TV are still surprising me.

@Necromancer
The intention was to discuss things that came to my mind because of the rains. That's why I have put the 3 topics in 3 different paragraphs. All of them are related only by rains and the fact that they crossed my mind. I like this style coz of the smooth flow of topics amidst the incoherence. If you go through my blogs you will find lots more blogs in this style.
Anyways, thanks for noticing.

24 November, 2005 14:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home