Monday, February 27, 2006

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari

The cover of the book says "Soon to be a major motion picture" but I have no idea how. Ninety percent of MSF (I will use the abbreviation of "Monk Sold Ferrari" as the abbreviation of the full title is pretty long) is the conversation between 2 persons on a single night. I can't imagine how a motion picture could be made of a conversation.

The gist of the story (not much of it anyways) is that a highly successful lawyer gets tired of his life and goes to India to understand his purpose of life. After many years, he returns to the west to pass-on his learning to his former colleague and friend. This is what the first 10 pages of the book have, and the rest is pure preachy stuff.

MSF is a book full of advice on how to lead a balanced life. Instead of giving direct advices as in spiritual books, Robin Sharma has adopted the story approach wherein the advice seems to go from one character to another. Somehow all the things in the book seem way too familiar. May be because I've listened to innumerous tales of wisdom since childhood. Or may be because my mind is blocked with the view that I know more about India than some foreign_firstname_Indian_lastname guy who wants to make money by using the fame of his ethnicity (baseless accusation; it’s just my feeling and might not be the fact).


MSF is not a book that I enjoyed, but it is neither something that I detest. I liked the book in parts and especially some of the phrases that sounded good. The one liked the most is
"The purpose of life is a life of purpose"
There are more like
"The best time to plant a tree was 40 years ago
The next best time is now"

If you are a person like me who likes quotes, then go ahead with the book. If you are a person who is not able differentiate between the words "life" and "work", then go ahead with it. But if you are not in any of these 2 categories, and have some other interesting book to do, then MSF could be safely bypassed. I read it only to satisfy my curiosity over hearing its name in many places. Well, curiosity could only kill my time

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ravi said...

When I read the book, I got utterly bored of its preachy nature. But I realise why certain sections of society might like it.

01 March, 2006 17:51  
Blogger Govar said...

Good thing I read this Ram. Even I wanted to 'check out' this monk ferrari book coz Im read abt it at many blogs... but well, I now have to reconsider it... i dont particularly like homilies... :)

15 March, 2006 15:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home