Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Avenger - Book Review

When I read Frederick Forsyth's "Devil's Alternative", I admired the novel and felt that I might be disappointed reading another novel of the same author as my expectations had become very high. But "Avenger" definitely lived up to my expectations. The same style of weaving the story in different layers and then linking all of them together; dealing with terrorism around the world; providing well researched information on the politics of different countries; and the impressive twist to the tale in the last page. I have admired many authors till the climax of their tales, but my admiration for Forsyth increases with his climaxes.

"Avenger" is just a normal story of revenge. It is the power of narration that makes it a good read. The story is about a young boy killed in Bosnia by a gangster and his grandfather hiring the Avenger to get the killer to the hands of the law. The stories of the avenger, the kid, the grand father, and scores of other people have been narrated well. Forsyth's style of making pieces link using the minutest of links is admirable. The story takes us through the Yugoslavian countries (Serbia, Bosnia etc.), the Gulf countries (UAE, Saudi etc.), Afghanistan, the South American jungles, and ofcourse, the US and UK.

A welcome read to get my thoughts off the daily life and into the world of action and adventure.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Govar said...

I have read all Forsyth novels till date and was about to buy Avenger when someone tolme its kinda disappointing. I dropped the purchase idea. You've livened up my spirits... I'm gonna get it now!

29 August, 2006 13:46  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Govar
Yes, it is worth reading. I'm gonna start "Afghan" next.

29 August, 2006 15:18  
Blogger Vetty Max said...

Afghan's not worth it. But its a good read nevertheless.

Avenger was good, somehow I liked the Vietnam part better than the climax. And I could predict the revelation at the end, so sort of disappointing it was.

29 August, 2006 16:20  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Vetty
Have already bought Afghan and so will check it anyways.
In Avenger, I was able to guess about the loyalty part, but not on why he was loyal.

29 August, 2006 19:19  
Blogger swas said...

Well well well you deour every book that you lay hands on, don't you?!! ;)

30 August, 2006 11:51  
Blogger meghjanmi said...

I have always liked Forsyth's racy narrative and twisting plots..must get hold of the two books u mention..

31 August, 2006 04:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

23 January, 2007 07:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home