Monday, June 19, 2006

Indian Railways – Catering To Techno Clients

IRCTC seems to have adopted internet pretty well (Check: Business Line). I have booked some of my tickets through the railways site and it is definitely very comfortable given that the ticket booking office was a good one hour from my place in Indore. Though the service is good, there is still scope for improvement. Few things that I can think of are
a) Provide a facility to book the to-and-fro tickets together. This would save half of the couriering cost (in case of 'i-tickets') as both tickets can be sent together. This saving when passed on to the passengers becomes very tempting.
b) Reduce the charge for e-ticketing. Why should a person pay Rs.25 extra when (s)he is actually saving the time of the reservation person? I can accept the charge for 'i-ticket' as the ticket has to be couriered in that case. But in 'e-ticket' the user simply takes a print-out of the ticket and uses it.
Still I am not taking the credit away from IRCTC. Their internet based services is a job well done. Checkout the following
http://irctc.co.in

2 Comments:

Blogger Vaikunth said...

That's right. Railways are doing a commendable job, I guess only ministry where we see continuous improvement over the years atleast on computerisation, which is helpful for public.
They have to make it cheaper to encourage people :)

20 June, 2006 01:54  
Blogger Ravi said...

Exactly! I have written about the indianrail website recently and now you are talking about its reservation service. Coincidence? I dont think so. I think suddenly in the past few months Indian Railways has consciously tried to improve the its web portals. It goes a long way to show that such govt organisations too have the ability to be nimble. Probably only the intent is missing.

21 June, 2006 15:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home