Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Afghan - Book Review

"Disappointing" would be the right word. The book isn't too bad, but it just couldn't live up to my expectations. The usual twists to the tale in Frederick Forsyth’s novels are missing and the novel has a straight forward and dreary story line. The elongated descriptions on current world scenarios could have also been reduced.
The storyline is about infiltrating the Al Qaeda (blow me down! Microsoft word recognizes this word and does not through a spelling error!) by faking a British ex-soldier to be an Afghan, and thereby spoiling a major terrorist plan. I don’t intend to give off the whole story, but then, there isn’t much anyways to say. There is something about the base of the storyline that is troubling me. The hero’s mom is the daughter of a Brit and an India, and the hero is brought-up in Iran. How could this make him passable for an Afghan? I don’t think Afghans look like Indians.
I have argued with few persons on the greatness of Frederick Forsyth’s style. I am regretful in accepting that I am one down on the argument.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

I told you so. :-)

Mike Martin was also there in Fist of God, a much better book than Afghan. And in that he is an Arab.

I have not seen an Afghan in person nor someone who's mom was half Brit and half Indian. So till proof to the contrary, I will assume it can be done. :-)

11 October, 2006 17:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home