Thursday, March 01, 2007

Snowy Times 2

It has been some time, but I will still go ahead writing about last Sunday's events.

Some of my friends and I had planned to go bowling on Sunday. By the time all of us got ready it was snowing heavily and we had to put our plans on hold. The snow abated by afternoon and we started off. This time around I was ready to face the stuck door and the path snowy outside the apartment. One of my friends had parked his car outside the apartment and I entered it with the hopes of having a no-adventure journey. But then, the same old villain - snow - had other plans. The heap of snow around the car was so high that the car's wheels were getting stuck in them and we were not able to get the car out. We abandoned the car and walked to the apartment of another friend who was to join us. His car was safely parked in the garage and he was able to get it out with less of problems. Thus began the day's journey that was good for the initial part. We went to the bowling alley and spent the next couple of hours trying to incorporate some style into our otherwise simple throw-it-in-the-center technique of bowling. Nothing much improved and I soon reverted to the simple way of doing it. The others kept trying new styles and maybe that's why I scored more than everyone else in 2 of the 3 games that we played.

We left the bowling alley with the intention of having lunch at an Indian restaurant. The next quarter of an hour was spent trying to find the restaurant that one of us had suggested. Then the cars turned towards a known Indian restaurant about 10 miles away. I guess I would not have thought of travelling so far just to have food, but then when you get a free ride why even think? On the way I suddenly heard the shriek of the friend who was driving. He was desperately pushing the brakes which seemed to be following the disobedience movement. Within seconds, our dear old friend ice (or sleet?) made sure that our car slid and banged into the rear of the jeep upfront. Suddenly all the bizarre American insurance stories came to my mind. Good time to think about work! Everyone except one person was in a state of shock. But the only person, the driver of the jeep in front, just drove continuously as if nothing had happened and drove into the gas station at the corner. Our car also followed to the gas station as we were running out of gas. I couldn't believe it, we were running into this person again whose car we just bumped and caused I-don't-know-how-much damage. But then my friends were polite enough to go to the other car and check for damages. The driver of that car, a lady, confirmed that there were luckily no damages. Both cars had minor scratches, but neither of them cared much. I guess I was the only hyper reactive guy in the scene. Anyways, my friend who was driving was also shaken and he was more than careful during the rest of the drive.

The lunch at Nalpak (Earlier called Udipi) was awesome. This is the second time I was having food at this place and it has impressed me both times. It is a typical Indian place with Bollywood film music playing in the background and cricket on all TVs, but the star attraction, atleast for me, was the food. The day ended with a return journey wherein we got lost on the road, went around a bit, and more importantly reached home in one piece.

The news as of now is that a snow storm is expected anytime. Looking forward to more exciting days ahead

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

After having gone so far away from home, just 10 more miles to have home-like food isn't so irrational, especially when there is transport.

01 March, 2007 15:43  
Blogger Jam said...

Hey Ram,

I know it's been a while since we kept in touch, but where on God's Green Earth are you in right now and how long do you plan to stay there?

Cheers......Jam

01 March, 2007 22:38  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Vetty
"especially when there is transport" - Affirmative

Jam
Am in Minnesota. For how long - I have no idea.

02 March, 2007 21:55  
Blogger Ram said...

Jammy- not trying new ways...conservative businessman, eh? :P -bowling is fun...be it on a cricket field or in an alley ;)
Agree with K7 on the food part and be driven safe! :)

03 March, 2007 12:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home