Thursday, November 09, 2006

Interviewee to Interviewer

I have always wondered what it would be like to sit on the other side of the interview desk and ask questions. Well, I got to feel that yesterday. Since I was not aware that I would be conducting the interview, I went totally unprepared and feeling that I might not be able to test the fresh minds that are coming straight out of Engineering college. But then, I was proved wrong on two counts - a) I remembered more than I expected myself to, and b) The interviewees didn't remember as much as I expected them to. I am still puzzled as to why the interviewees couldn't answer simple questions on their final engineering project and subjects that they claimed to be strong at. May be it was just me. I guess interviewers are supposed to put the interviewees at ease before asking questions. I, on the contrary, bludgeoned them with questions the minute they took their seats. Anyways, I take solace from the fact that there was an experienced interviewer along with me giving some credibility to the decisions.
All along it was fun and I look forward to more such opportunities.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lucky on this front. Had interviewing skills training 4 years back and interviewed people then... and was surprised now to get to interview here... and that too not developers!

Neway, there are a couple of techniques in interviewing that were very useful to me - funneling etc. Its all simple, but yes, it's shocking how people respond in interviews - whatever u do to make them comfy

09 November, 2006 18:56  
Blogger Vetty Max said...

Somehow my experience has been a little different. Probably that is because of the fact that the interviews that I have been doing have been for overqualified people (Ph.D types) and people who had work-ex. So I had to prepare more to ask questions than I would have done for an interview that i was attending.

Also had to ask proper mathematical questions such that the interview would last 45 minutes to an hour, hence prior prep was all the more necessary.

10 November, 2006 00:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ram
thats a pleasant surprise
when did this happen

13 November, 2006 12:57  
Blogger Kannan.V said...

Hey Ram,

Being with you during the college days, I know how serious you would be when taking up any task, am sure seeing your face, that definitely must have scared the S* out of them.

This is the reason may be!

Kannan. (ur friend in nanganallur)

26 January, 2007 16:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home