Monday, October 16, 2006

Writing to Good Fortune

Recently I heard of the autobiography of the English cricketer Kevin Pietersen. It came as a surprise to me as Pietersen has been around the world cricketing fraternity for just few years now. A bit of searching in Amazon reveals that most English cricketers have authored a book or two. From Mike Atherton and Graham Thorpe to Andrew Strauss and Freddie Flintoff, all of them have books in their names. I can understand that there would be interesting aspects and lessons to be learnt from the lives of experienced people, but why are youngsters jumping in so early to tell the world about whatever little that they have experienced? An answer seems to lie at the money to be made in the biography books market. To take an example, Monty Panesar, the relatively new spinner in the English side, has got a deal of more than 300,000 pounds for his autobiography. I am not sure as to how much these guys make by playing cricket, but the money from writing is definitely something substantial to grab.

Moving away from cricket, the other autobiography that's making news these days is the one by the Pakistani president. I checked the price of the book in a book store and decided that there are many worth while things that I can do with that sum. Well, with the amount of money involved, the book is already going to make its Urdu debut

If only someone promises me a decent amount for my life's story, I might as well jump into the pool

7 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

Jammy, the cricketers can atleast be forgiven as they ended up winning the Ashes. Almost every member of the loser English football team has also come up with an autobio.

Wait for Musharraf's autobio to hit the roads, surely will get pirated, or atleast our government should do its bit in pirating the book.

17 October, 2006 09:14  
Blogger Heidi Kris said...

Jammy un-blog ye autobio madri dhane iruku :P

17 October, 2006 20:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well these sportsmen write for money allright , but are they enough takers for these books?Guess these guys dont pay heed to that!!-Mithila

17 October, 2006 22:37  
Blogger Ravi said...

Such things will happen as long as there are fans. Look at all the celebrity endorsements. They are so common now that we dont even notice that working in ads is not their primary job.

At least here the cricketers have made an attempt to write something on their own and (hopefully) not based on what the paymaster (ad agency/publisher) wants them to project.

18 October, 2006 09:46  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Vetty
I checked Musharaff's autobio. It is priced quite high. But I guess the diplomats from various governments would anyways buy it.

@Heidi
I don't think I write much of personal stuff here

@Mithi
Seems there are

@Ravi
How I wish people would buy my writings for such big amounts just bcoz I write it on my own ;)

18 October, 2006 14:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update! Update! Update!

08 November, 2006 19:00  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Govar
Done buddy

09 November, 2006 15:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home