Friday, March 02, 2007

Chutti!

There was an announcement in office yesterday evening that the weather was getting worse and employees should make their judgement on when to leave. A colleague translated that "make a judgement" means "Stay in office". Anyways our floor was more or less empty by 3:30 pm. while driving back "P" and I were commenting that people were over reacting and that the place didn't look that bad. But then, there are times when you state, and there are times when you eat... your own word that is. Everything was fine till we arrived in front of the garage door. The car slipped sideways and stopped just short of hitting the garage card-sensor. The car was caught in snow and was not budging regardless of the amount of push on the accelerator. I got down to check if there was anyone around from whom we could borrow a shovel. The wind was strong, blowing snow and blindfolding me. P started shoveling with his window scrubber. After some effort we were able to get inside the garage with the car, but it took me few minutes to stop shivering.


Outside my apartment (Last weekend - before the snow storm)


The morning today started with the usual early rise and preparations to get to office. P was planning to work from home which meant that I was left to catch a bus to office. I called up the snow alert number at office to find that they would update the status only at 7:30 am. I usually leave home at 7:30 to catch the bus. But with the weather being bad outside, I would need atleast 5 minutes more. The main issue is that partners (offshore service providers) are not allowed to work, or even enter, office during holidays. So if I reach office and it turns out to be a holiday, then I might not be allowed in. The worst part of the scenario is that the first bus to get back from office is at 3:40 pm. What will I do in the roads, in this condition, for so many hours? I decided to check with the alert number once again, and, to my comfort, the announcement was already on for the office being closed. So here I am doing velagiri during day time while being paid a dollar salary.

Talking about salaries, the placement report from my alma mater is out and seems impressive.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

i have been here for over 5 years now and have never seen the weather alert fail even once...it's unbelievable...except for places like San Diego where there isn't much different to say in the first place :D

03 March, 2007 03:48  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Ram
The weather alert did not fail

03 March, 2007 06:54  
Blogger Ram said...

dei- naanum adhaedhaan sonnen :P maybe i did not word the SD example very well :D

03 March, 2007 12:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home