Monday, March 26, 2007

Hindu Mandir - Maple Grove

It was a sudden decision on Saturday to go a temple. I started off with my apartment mates to the Hindu mandir in Maple Grove, which is a 40 mile drive from my place. The drive seemed to take more time than it should have, but I am not complaining as it was pretty smooth and the natural splendour around kept me engrossed. The last 100 meter stretch though reminded of Indian roads with potholes ensuring a bumping ride. I guess that too added to the experience.

The temple looked good both from outside and inside. Though some of the sannidhis are still under construction, the general ambience inside reminded of the temples back home. The main sannidhi is that of lord Vishnu with the sannidhis of Thayar and AandaL on either side. To the left were sannidhis of Vinayagar and a Lingam. The entry to the sannidhis to the right was closed, probably due to construction. I could see one sannidhi to house a deity similar to Puri Jagannath. I could also deduce another sannidhi to be of Ram, as Shree Ram was written around it. The AandaL sannidhi has urchava moorthies of Ramar, Lakshmanar, Seetha, Anjaneya, and Chakrathaazhvar. I am not sure if the other sannidhis have urchavars.

There was Rama bhajan going on in one of the halls. I went for having lunch in another of the temple halls and found that they were celebrating Sri Rama Navami on Saturday itself though the festival is actually on Tuesday. Nice timing for my visit! The food was provided free on the occasion, but that just made me add few more dollars to the donation. The organizers are doing a very good job of running this place, and I feel that it is only fair that the devotees contribute to their capability.

All in all, it was a nice ride, good darshan, and happiness and tranquility to the mind.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Zeta said...

Hey nice to see that you are exploring your vicinty, after the harsh winter ! Enjoy !

07 April, 2007 00:38  
Blogger Common Man said...

Temples in US..Hope u havent find ant stray dogs in its premises as in india:)--not that frequently blogging these days????

26 April, 2007 14:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home