Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I DO A DWL

I do what? Actually, I'm doing nothing but shortening the title "International Day Of Action against Dams and for Water Life". With each passing day, I am finding-out that every date has a name ("significance" as some might prefer to call it). One of my former colleagues once remarked that we can prove any number to be special. The same seems to apply to dates. If not anything else, atleast these names give me something to write about in my blog!
Coming back to yesterday's "International Day Of Action against Dams and for Water Life", a demonstration was staged on the occasion by the NBA (Narmada Bachao Andolan) activists in Bhopal. Talking about Bhopal, it is a place that I hold closer to Brussels in my heart. No, it’s not about resemblances between the places. It’s just that I have been to both places quite a number of times, but have seen them only in the dark. These two places have connected me to different locations by train, and invariably, I've always caught my train in these places either in early morning or in the night. Talk about timing. People from all over the world go to Brussels for sight-seeing. But I've never had the time (read as "bad planning") to see the city except for its railway station.
Where were we? Yes, the dharna in Bhopal. The intention was to highlight the demand that the height of the Sardar Sarovar dam should not be raised. It is said that 40,000 families would be displaced if the height of the dam is raised by another 29 metres. Given that these people know what they are dealing with, the fact should be true. But still, my ignorance over such issues has made me wonder, "How does increasing the height displace families?" I can understand the problem if the length or width of the dam is increased. But height? Seems its time for me to shed the comfort of laziness and ask someone for an explanation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like you are bored to the hilt. :D three posts on days ... :o

15 March, 2005 14:50  
Blogger Jammy said...

Thought I'll post about something other than personal things. I must admit that these "days" do provide some decent info to opine about

17 March, 2005 13:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home