Monday, May 30, 2005

Novel Novels

I am not a regular reader of novels, but I do read once in a while and enjoy whatever I'm reading. In the past few days I got to discuss about books with some of my friends. Most people seem to have a favourite author whose books they read voraciously. That made me wonder who my favourite author is. The surprising fact is that I don't seem to have read more a single book of the same author!!! The list of all the novels that I've read in the last few years (couldn't remember beyond that ) looks like this:










Airframe Michael Crichton
The English Teacher R.K.Narayan
The Game Eliyahu M. Goldratt
Fountain Head Ayn Rand
The Devil's Alternative Frederick Forsyth
Why didn't they ask Evans? Agatha Christie
Animal Farm George Orwell
Rich Dad Poor Dad Robert Kiyosaki
Da Vinci Code Dan Brown
To Cut a Long Story short Jeffrey Archer
Sphinx  Robin Cook

Currently I'm 25% through John Grisham's "The Brethren". All novels by different authors. How unique?
But it has never been a conscious decision to read different authors all the time. I've just read the books that I could get. Ofcourse there have been books that I got and still didn't complete. Books like "The New New Thing" by Michael Lewis, and "Hannibal" by Harris Thomas weren't my kind. There have also been books that I liked a lot, but couldn't complete because of other circumstances like exams, assignments etc. "Liar's poker" by Michael Lewis, and "A Killing on Wall Street" by Derrick Niederman fall in this category. I hope to read them sometime in the future.

The books that I wish to read in the future are:
The day of the jackal (Frederick Forsyth), Liar's poker (Michael Lewis), The Monk who sold his Ferrari (Robin Sharma), Life Of Pi (Yann Martel), Angels and Demons / Digital Fortress (Dan Brown), Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)

5 Comments:

Blogger Akshay said...

You are right it got me thinking i guess my favorite author is Jefferey Archer I tend to read most of his stuff rather i have read almost all his books. But then my list of books and authors is pretty variagated too.

You have read some kool books man.

30 May, 2005 19:41  
Blogger Ram said...

Digital Fortress will look ordinary after u finish reading DVC and A&D...so i guess u can skip it. Read Follett if u need some entertainment ;).

30 May, 2005 22:28  
Blogger Govar said...

Hmm. under 10 novels? You kdding? btw, add fourth protocol and deceiver .. both forsyth.. to your list. Must read. Actually all of Forsyth and Arthir Hailey and Grishams are worth reading...

31 May, 2005 12:59  
Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

B4 u read paulo choelo, try reading illusions by ruchard bach, if u havent, then read paulo choelo,but its odd tat uhavent read more than 1 book by an author. i try to read authors who are unheard of, and skip the famous ones simply bcause they r overhyped

31 May, 2005 14:16  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Aks
Thanks

@Ramm
ok. I'll remove DF from my list and stick to A&D

@Govar
I'm not a voracious reader like u. But will increase the list of novels in the near future

@Srivatsan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try "illusions" before "Alchemist". Reading novels by famous ppl has the advantage tha we can discuss them with our friends.

01 June, 2005 10:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home