Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Southie Assumptions

In the past few days I have been irritated quite a number of times by the opinions of people about South India. These people are stubborn enough not to think beyond the assumptions that they have developed. The comments that they have made have been really wild like "They can't speak English", "They can't eat with a spoon" etc. Boy, I never knew that North Indians have a patent to English or to the dining etiquette. What I am concerned with is not that these people are ill-informed, but that they believe in whatever they have heard and don't want to know the truth. Most of these people are movie-buffs and believe that all Southies have the peculiar accent that is shown in the movies. Some have even asked me why I don't speak like that!!! I even found a guy who accepted a job in Mumbai for 38% less salary than a job that he got in Chennai just because he thinks that Chennai is too hot for him. I accept that Chennai is hot. But I haven't found Mumbai any closer to Switzerland either.
All I'm asking for is that people interact with each other to get to know about others rather than form opinions based on fictional movies. Is that too much to ask for?

5 Comments:

Blogger Vetty Max said...

There has always been a bias against the South Indians in the minds of the Northies. They call all South Indians Madrasis, irrespective of the state they belong to.

Its my opinion(maybe prejudiced) that we surely have a better command over English than the Northies.

But I have heard that when it comes to renting places Madrasi is a golden word in finding places in Delhi because we are the only ones who pay the rent properly. :D

11 May, 2005 17:46  
Blogger Ram said...

generalization da jammy...as always am against it. There are rotten apples on both sides. U'll have to try some more and the ones who have the brains to understand will understand...all the best!

11 May, 2005 20:58  
Blogger Akshay said...

Well as far as English is concerned I disagree completely. All those people in hostel from north had pathetic control over this language. Even now I feel we south indians restrict to karnataka and tamil nadu have better english skills. The accent thing has come up because of the very different way the mallus speak and that gulti accent with an u which i guess is famous even in the United States of Andrapradesh :P .

I am not being biased in my view about the English, but yes people tend to believe what they havent ever experienced which is not justifyable.

12 May, 2005 02:53  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Vetty
From what I've heard of, Madrasis doesnot refer to people from Madras/ Chennai. It refers to the people from the erstwhile Madras constituency.

@MinEgo
Yes, generalization is what I've objected in the post. It hurts to see "well-educated" still falling for generalization.

@Akshay
I have had 3 mallus with me in college and only 1 of them had a peculiar accent.

12 May, 2005 09:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ram... looks like some one rubbed the southside of you rather harshly :D

15 May, 2005 22:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home