Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Noble Profession

An article in a friend's blog reminded me of a desire that I had years back. There was a time when I wanted to be a teacher. I have always loved the concept of imparting knowledge, though I'm not sure how much I got imparted I have loved to give presentations in both under-graduation and post-graduation classes. I'm not sure on how to express the feeling that I get during a presentation. The closest comparison could be the pleasure that an actor derives through acting.
Coming back to reality, I did have an option to get into the teaching profession. When I had completed my engineering, I was offered the chance of becoming a lecturer. But then, I also got an offer from an MNC that was paying about 4 times more. I had interest in teaching, but not the unconditional passion that people are supposed to exhibit over their desires. I took the option that most money-minded "normal" people would have taken. But I have no regrets. I loved my job with the MNC.
My interest in teaching was rekindled when I joined post-graduation. I wished to become a professor till I got to know the requirements to become one (a doctorate) and the pay package disbursed. Call me money-minded or opportunistic, but here I am back in an IT firm.

4 Comments:

Blogger Akshay said...

Jam

I would never call you money minded or oppurtunistic. But i will surely call you a guy who still has an interest to teach at the back of his mind. I am sure you will be able to teach sometime if not as a full time professor, parallely with your job. Or you may even impart knowledge through training sessions in your own Company. Good luck

20 April, 2005 10:53  
Blogger Govar said...

Teacher. U r kidding!

20 April, 2005 16:27  
Blogger Jammy said...

@Akshay
That's exactly what I have in mind. Thanks for the wishes

@Govar
Why do u think so?

20 April, 2005 17:29  
Blogger Vetty Max said...

Jammy, if it were a difference of a couple of ten thousands a year and you left teaching, then probably you can be called money minded, but here the difference runs into lakhs.

You are a normal guy. You would have to be mad to take up teaching.

Probably you can look at teaching when you feel you have earned enough or when you are close to retirement.

20 April, 2005 17:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home