Thursday, April 14, 2005

Puththaandu NalvazhthukkaL

Anaivarukkum en ulam kaninda tamizh puththaandu nalvazhthukkaL

The above line means "Happy Tamil New Year". After coming to Mumbai, I speak in Tamil only with my parents over phone. So the Tamil New Year is definitely a day to remember and cherish the language that I have always loved. I used to participate in most of the Tamil oratory contests in school though without much success. In fact I still believe that the school I studied in, is one of the best to learn the language.
Many forms of Tamil have existed mainly based on geographical variations like Madurai Tamil, Thirunelveli Tamil, and Kovai Tamil. But with the modernisation of so many things, Tamil has also undergone modifications and we now find lots of English words in Tamil. I am not asking people to call keyboard, mouse and software in Tamil. But then they should atleast know the simple words. There are lots who don't know the Tamil words for Tea, Pant, computer etc. You know what is worse? Many of my friends wish Tamil New Year in English!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

people will probably get "Thaeneer" and "kaNippoRi" right...it is the "kaal sattai" that'd be a googly! after all, we studied in the same school :)


en iniya puththaaNdu nalvaazhththukkaL!

18 April, 2005 06:49  
Blogger Jammy said...

Minimal ego,
I understand what "kaal sattai" means, but I was taught it to be "Kuzhai"

18 April, 2005 09:21  
Blogger Ram said...

aah- needless to say(cos of SCIMA), i do know "kuzhai" :)- but i prefer using "kaal sattai"

19 April, 2005 02:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home